Oral communication is the most popular and used way of communication in informal and formal both scenarios, due to the many advantages of oral communication. Especially oral communication is performed mostly in informal communication to establish deeper relationships and the places where the immediate result is desired.
Oral communication becomes very attractive and interesting due to the use of visuals and nonverbal communications, which adds more effectiveness to the entire process of communication.
In this article you will gain a clear understanding of the advantages of oral communication.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Advantages of Oral Communication are:
- Objective or intention is expressed clearly
- In oral communication the purpose is achieved fast and instantly
- Chances of misunderstanding are minimal
- Possibilities of barriers are less
- Feedback can be given and taken immediately
- Expression of emotion and feeling
- Display of Nonverbal communication
- Audience’s reaction and Nonverbal communication cues can help in better result
- Outcome can be calculated on spot
- The voice modulation or tones of voice can enhance the productivity
- Oral communication builds a deeper bond of relationship
- Group work or team spirit increases
- Even long message can be made attractive using graphics, charts, graphs or others visuals
- Detecting wrong and rectification are done without delay
- Oral communication boosts and motivates individuals
- Can be reached to solution in short period of time
- Entire process is faster and effective even for long messages
- Oral communication is great for solving disagreements and critical problems
1. Objective or intention is expressed clearly
Every communication is made with certain objectives in mind, Oral communication is a great way to express that objective or intention, as it is easier to convey the thoughts or information through oral communication.
2. In oral communication the purpose is achieved fast and instantly
The information or knowledge can be delivered fast and without delaying, therefore the purpose of oral communication is achieved fast and instantly.
We desire a communication where our purpose can be accomplished as soon as possible, it helps us to make decisions instantly and oral communication helps us in this.
3. Chances of misunderstanding are minimal
Misunderstanding can be a great and the biggest barrier in communication. The entire intention of the communication can be distorted if the message is misunderstood.
It is a great advantage of oral communication to minimize the misunderstanding in a communication.
4. Possibilities of barriers are less
Barriers like bad functioning of software or electronic devices, poor internet or telephone connection etc can lead to an unsuccessful communication.
Face to face oral communication is effective as there is no such barrier present.
5. Feedback can be given and taken immediately
Feedback is an essential part of every communication, in order to make it sure that the message is conveyed appropriately.
In oral communication the feedback can be given and taken immediately during the conversion.
6. Expression of emotion and feeling
Human beings are emotional creations, we all carry emotions and feelings, we love to share our emotions and feelings. Our emotion and feeling can establish a productive communication, if it is applied appropriately.
Oral communication creates a perfect room to express that emotion and feeling, which as a result makes better communication.
7. Display of Nonverbal communication
Our nonverbal communication is an integral part of entire communication. Nonverbal expressions like, facial expression, head movement, body movement, eye contact all enhances the efficiency of oral communication.
8. Audience’s reaction and Nonverbal communication cues can help in better result
In oral communication the expression of an audience’s nonverbal cues can be detected, which helps to read the audience’s interest or boredom and take the steps accordingly.
9. Outcome can be calculated on spot
The result or outcome of an oral communication can be calculated on spot, to identify the productivity of the communication as either a success or failed one.
Understanding the outcome helps to take the next appropriate step.
10. The voice modulation or tones of voice can enhance the productivity
We use different tones of voice in different situations which convey some special message to the audience. Using the appropriate and professional tone of voice and its modulation helps to establish an efficient communication.
11. Oral communication builds a deeper bond of relationship
Oral communication develops a better bond of relationship due to less confusion in communication and immediate feedback opportunity.
We can express our thoughts and ideas more efficiently while we are talking verbally or orally with others, as a result it creates a deeper bond of relationship.
12. Group work or team spirit increases
It is said that if you are going for a short journey, go alone but if you are going for a long journey then go with a group.
An organisation or company needs a group of skilled workforce to fulfill its vision and achieve the goal. But this group or team of workforce needed to communicate with each other to perform the required task in an appropriate and effective manner.
Oral communication plays an important role in this process of communication. One can easily and immediately express his or her thoughts and ideas to others and receive feedback to take the needful decision on spot without delaying.
13. Even long message can be made attractive using graphics, charts, graphs or others visuals
It is frequently seen that the speaker communicates orally using graphs, charts, graphics, infographics and other visual staffs to present the information in an easy to understand and attractive manner, even very complicated messages can be conveyed efficiently without confusion in this way.
14. Detecting wrong and rectification are done without delay
Another great advantage of oral communication is confusion can be solved on the spot and rectification is made without delay, which enhances the entire communication process, it also helps to take the immediate decision.
15. Oral communication boosts and motivates individuals
Oral communication is a powerful way to motivate individuals, and motivated individuals always deliver better performance.
Most probably, you have seen many motivational speakers who deliver their powerful speech to motivate even a large number of people at a time. The tone of voice, gesture, body language, facial expression and visualization all play an important role during the oral communication to motivate people.
16. Can be reached to solution in short period of time
Who wants to wait for a solution, we all are very impatient to find the solution. Many times the problem itself becomes a problem unless we find the solution.
We all desire that our problems be solved as soon as possible, and for this oral communication is a highly considerable way to find the solution without delaying.
Think about the last time when you faced some serious problem and got the solution by communication orally over the telephone or using mobile or other electronic devices.
17. Entire process is faster and effective even for long messages
For delivering a long piece of message, written communication can be really inefficient as oral communication is faster and more comfortable compared to written communication.
A long message delivered in audio format is more desirable than written format.
18. Oral communication is great for solving disagreements and critical problems
Disagreements and problems are commonly found issues in almost every industry, oral communication is a popular way to solve the disagreement through discussion and finding the best possible solution.
Very critical problems are also solved by making oral communication, it becomes easier to find the actual problem by analyzing the problem indepthly by discussing verbally with each other.
Key Takeaways from Advantages of Oral Communication
- Intention of the communicator is expressed clearly and desired way, using oral communication.
- The purpose of the communication is accomplished faster and instantly on the spot through oral communication.
- Due to the immediate clarification the chances of misunderstanding are very minimal.
- Oral communication faces less barriers such as device issues, spelling errors or grammatical mistakes etc.
- Feedback is provided immediately in oral communication, which enhances the communication process.
- Emotion and feeling can be expressed during oral communication which adds more life to the communication and helps in better understanding.
- Nonverbal communication like facial expression, eye contact, tone of voice etc imparts some additional advantages to the oral communication.
- In oral communication the audience’s reaction and Nonverbal communication cues can be detected which helps in improving the communication.
- Result or the outcome of the communication can be measured and calculated on the spot while making oral communication.
- The voice modulation or tones of voice gives special effect to the oral communication which enhance the productivity
- An effective and deeper bond of relationship is established through oral communication.
- Oral communication builds better group work or team spirit as a result it increases the performance.
- A very long message can also be made attractive while communicating orally using graphics, charts, graphs or others visuals
- The errors can be detected immediately and rectification are made without delay while communicating orally.
- Oral communication has a tremendous power to boost and motivate individuals if the message is delivered effectively.
- The solution can be presented to the customer, client or to any other person in short period of time
- Even for delivering long pieces of messages, oral communication can be very efficient and easier.
- In solving disagreements and critical problems, oral communication plays an important role due to its immediate feedback facility.
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article and helping others to grow.