Even though oral communication is considered as the most popular means of communication, still there are some disadvantages of oral communication that creates issues in business communication.
Depending on oral communication is not enough in an entire business communication because it is very informal and unorganized.
Oral communication is considered less authentic for showcasing as a document of proof.
Top 15 Disadvantages of oral communication:
- Absence of appropriate record in oral communication in most cases
- Oral communication does not carry any legal validity
- There is issues in accountability in most oral communication
- Lack of reference value is a disadvantage in oral communication
- Information shared in oral communication can be forgotten easily
- Online oral communication can face many barriers like issues with internet or telephone connection
- business communication can not rely on oral communication alone
- Oral communication are considered as informal in most cases
- It can have issues with orderly presentation of information
- Oral communication has less authenticity which result lack of reliability
- Arrangement for oral communication may consume more time
- It is not appropriate for conveying a short piece of information
- For informing regular activity and official data oral communication is not sufficient
- Require attentiveness of audience or else can create misunderstanding
- Many times it becomes impossible for everyone to be present together at the same time for attending in oral communication
1. Lack of record in oral communication
Records of the discussion or message are not kept in most oral communication. Even Though sometimes a short record is maintained, it is not sufficient.
2. Oral communication carry no legal validity
Oral information has very less or no legal validity. So, in order to prove something legally oral information is not enough.
3. Issues in accountability in most oral communication
We all are accountable for certain action, it can be either in our workplace or at home. But our oral share of information reduces the accountability.
Especially business places require a high level of accountability. This is the reason a written record is maintained in every business.
4. Absence of reference value is a disadvantage in oral communication
In case of reference value the oral communication is not appropriate. Due to the lack of record, it carries no reference value.
5. Information of oral communication can be forgotten
Another drawback of oral communication is that it can not be retained for longer and can be forgotten easily.
6. Noise, Internet or telephone connection can become barrier in oral communication
Oral communication can face various different barriers. Online and offline both types of oral communication are disturbed or distorted due the barrier.
Online communication can have less or severe issues with internet or telephonic connection.
Offline communication also can be disturbed by the barrier like noise made by people or mechanical staff.
7. Only oral communication is not enough for business communication
A business requires different modes of communication, such as oral communication, written communication etc.
For the better performance in a workplace only oral communication is not sufficient.
8. Oral communication are informal in most cases
Without doubt oral communication plays a vital role in every workplace but still it is considered as the informal way of communication.
Most formal communication is made using written means of communication, either using email service or specific software.
9. Orderly presentation of information can be difficult
For presenting the information in an orderly manner oral communication may not be best. The information can only be presented in a certain order if it is written beforehand and the oral communication is supported by the written information.
10. Oral communication carry less authenticity or reliability
Oral communication is less authentic as the record of message and the message deliverer is not maintained in most cases, this leads to less reliability.
11. Arrangement may take more time in oral communication
Delivering a message orally requires the physical presence of the audiences and speaker both in the offline scenario, and this takes time to be arranged.
So, in case of frequent oral communication, arrangement can be a serious matter to consider.
12. Not suitable for sharing a short piece of information
For sharing a short message, arranging the oral communication process is not a wise choice. This is the reason businesses use email service or software to convey them easily without any difficulty. Even for informal communication we frequently use social media sites to share information.
13. It is not best option for informing regular activity and official data
For sharing regular activities in a workplace or private official data, oral communication is not the best option, rather written communication is preferred for all these.
14. Less attention of listener cause misunderstanding
Oral communication demands a high level of attention, if the listener gets distracted then misunderstanding can occur, as a result a poor communication and productivity is established.
15. Require the physical presence in most cases
Offline oral communication requires the physical presence of the communicator and the audience, this is the reason many times establishing oral communication become difficult or impossible.
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article and helping others to grow.