The fundamental demand and necessity in every industry is to establish an ‘effective communication in the workplace’. Every business or workplace desires sustainable growth, and effective communication in the workplace is crucial for this continuous and sustainable progress.
Being a part of different types of workplaces, I have accumulated a good understanding about effective communication in the workplace.
Effective communication in the workplace is all about communicating in the best possible manner to deliver your thoughts, ideas, knowledge and emotions through verbal and nonverbal communication using the face to face, written or technological mediums, to add positive value to the sustainable growth of the workplace.
It includes the communication between persons in the managing body, manager and team leader, team leader and staff, colleagues etc.
TABLE OF CONTENT
- What is effective communication in the workplace
- Importance of effective communication in the workplace
- How to improve effective communication in the workplace
- Effective communication in the workplace examples
- Final Thought on ‘Effective communication in the workplace’
1. What is effective communication in the workplace
In order to understand the effective communication in the workplace, first of all let us understand what is effective communication.
Effective communication is exchanging our thoughts, ideas, information, feeling and emotions between the individuals or groups either in personal or professional workplace scenarios, where the message is sent and received according to intent and accurately.
It fulfills the purpose of communication, as a result creates a happy relation in personal communication and productivity in the business workplace.
Every workplace has some kind goal or predefined business intent, effective communication is one of the major factors to reach that goal or fulfill the business intent.
Effective communication in the workplace is establishing communication in the workplace that is effective enough to add the positive value in the overall work environment.
A quick look at Effective Communication:
- Information is exchanged in effective communication
- It can be applied in personal or professional both cases
- Aim of effective communication is to establish a successful communication
- It accomplishes the intent and goal of the sender and receiver of message
- Happy relation is instituted
- Value is added to the workplace or business
2. Importance or benefits of effective communication in the workplace
Every workplace seeks for the person with an ability of effective communication. In every job interview, the recruiter makes sure that the candidate is effective enough in good communication.
Effective communication is directly beneficial for the growth of the business, Therefore, effective communication is one of the major concerns in every workplace or business.
Importance of effective communication in the workplace are:
- Effective communication accomplishes the Intend
- It results successful communication
- Creates minimal confusion or no confusion
- Purpose and the goal of business is achieved
- Establish a positive work culture and environment
- It helps to provide clear information
- Resolution of conflicts are made through effective communication
- A strong team building takes place
- Sustainable growth is attained
- Strong management process develops
- Create less misunderstanding
- Relationship in workplace is improved
- Your respect and self-esteem is developed
- It increases the job satisfaction
- Overall business get success
3. How to improve effective communication in the workplace
In order to communicate properly in your workplace, you must learn the ways you can improve it. Improving your communication skill will help you to gain more respect and self esteem in your work area and add additional value in the industry you are working in.
Here are the ways to improve or develop the effective communication skill in your workplace:
- Let your message be clear and easy to understand
- Develop your verbal or oral communication
- Listen patiently and attentively
- Improve your written communication skill to write without grammar or spelling error
- Work on public speaking ability
- Be more flexible and adaptable
- Get to know the use of modern gadgets of communication
- Use right software and tools in communication
- Have a clear understanding of goals and expectations of communication
- Deliver your message with focus and attention
- Choose the medium of communication carefully
- Make sure communication is engaging
- Show appropriate body language
- Use right tone of voice
- Go for more face-to-face communication
- Use verbal and nonverbal communication skills together
- Ask questions if you are confused
- Stop attacking anyone personally
- Make sure your message does not create misunderstanding
- Do not discuss controversial issues
- Always carry positive and cheerful attitude
- Complain less and appreciate more
4. Effective communication in the workplace examples
In order to be an effective communicator you need to understand the different types of communication skills, learning them and practicing them in your day today’s workplace will enhance your communication.
In most of the cases different types of communication skills need to be merged together in order to produce effectiveness and productivity.
Some of the example of effective communication in your workplace are:
- Listen actively with patience
Listening actively is an important key for effective communication. Not listening carefully can produce misunderstanding which can result in non-productive communication.
Most people like to talk, whereas listening carefully without interrupting others is also a part of effective communication. Do not forget that communication takes place by sending and receiving the message, so if the message is not received properly,then it causes poor communication.
- Adopt the modern methods of communication in your workplace
Due to the rapid advancement of Technology, the methods of communication are in continuous change. This is the reason in order to be an effective communicator you must be well acquainted with the modern methods of Technology.
- Be friendly and confident
everyone likes a friendly and cheerful person. so communicating with a friendly attitude, cheerful face and with confidence makes a lot of difference to produce effective communication.
- Deliver your message clearly with appropriate volume and tone
As you deliver your message make sure your message is conveyed with clear words, appropriate volume and right tone that is appropriate in your industry standard. Your message might be very interesting but if the listener will have a hard time understanding it or listen to it, then it will produce unproductive communication.
- Respect others
Everyone wants to be respected, but we must know that in order to be respected we must also respect others. Respecting others while communicating with others makes the audience happy and feel respected.
- Master your emotions
We are emotional beings, so we all carry emotions, but this emotion can either make our communication effective or ineffective. Mastering the emotion and applying the right emotion in the right place makes us effective communicators. Managing anger, frustration and pressure in the workplace is also essential for effective communication.
- Use verbal and nonverbal methods of communication along with understanding others
Do not forget that verbal and nonverbal communication works together in order to produce effective communication in the workplace. Our nonverbal clues add a lot of meaning with the verbal words.
It is also important that we understand others’ feelings through their nonverbal cues. Gaining insight from others nonverbal attitude and communicating accordingly brings positive results in the process of communication at the workplace.
5. Final Thought on ‘Effective communication in the workplace’
Communication is an integral part of every workplace. Being able to communicate effectively adds A lot of benefits unto your professional life as you add value to the workplace.
From communication with clients to communication with your colleagues in your office, everywhere you need to display your communication skill.
Effective communication skills can be learnt and developed.
With the advancement of Technology, the way of communication is shifted to technical gadgets using the internet, so having a good understanding and the ability to use those gadgets and softwares makes you more effective in the communication process.
Effective communication ability increases your job possibility, respect in your workplace and enhances the possibility of promotion in the industry.
From the recruitment to the job to perform your day to day job, your way of communication makes a lot of difference as you either make positive contributions or negative effects through your capability of communication.
Here are some of the takeaways :
- Effective communication is communicating your thoughts, ideas, information, emotion, feeling and knowledge in the most productive manner.
- Every workplace requires and demands for effective communication as it adds value to the business.
- There are many ways effective communication is important in every workplace.
- Understanding the importance of it, will help you to improve effective communication.
- You can improve your communication and make it effective, if you are serious about it.
- Firm determination to improve your communication skill with a spirit of continuous learning and applying them in your life, will make you an effective communicator.
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article and helping others to grow.