A good knowledge of ‘interpersonal skills examples’ will definitely help you to understand how interpersonal skills help in effective communication or interaction with other individuals or groups of people.
We all interact with people but how effective this interaction will be entirely relies on the interpersonal skills.
From communicating with family members to colleagues or clients everywhere interpersonal skills play an essential role to define your capability and quality.
Quality interpersonal skills help in building effective and sustainable relationships with friends and family members, at the same time they also help in your job and professional life.
As you write your resume or present yourself during an interview, everywhere your interpersonal skills are observed and measured to figure out whether you are suitable for the job role or not.
Some of the interpersonal skills examples are, speaking clearly and precisely while delivering certain messages to others, portraying the best nonverbal communications like body language, eye contact and appealing appearance. carrying a positive attitude, work ethics, spirit of appreciation and team work etc.
Here below is a list of interpersonal skills examples to consider.
30+ list of interpersonal skills examples
TABLE OF CONTENT
- Verbal communication
- Non-verbal communication
- Listening skills
- Decision-making ability
- Problem solving skills or Conflict Resolution skill
- Interacting with individual
- Communication with a small or large group of people
- Support and Empathy
- Organization skill
- Self confidence
- Positive Attitude
- Strong work ethics and integrity
- Time management
- Team spirit
- Leadership skill
- Self Motivation
- Patience in pressure
- Cooperating and collaboration
- Organizing events
- Managing teams
- Quality relationship
- Reading nonverbal cues of others
- Recognizing strengths, qualities and talents
- Appreciating others
- Inspiring and motivating
1. Verbal communication
It is all about the ability to deliver the thoughts, ideas, knowledge, emotions and feelings using words or language by speaking clearly and effectively.
2. Non-verbal communication
Non-verbal communication skills are very essential examples of interpersonal skills that play a major role in interaction with others.
- Maintaining regular eye contact while you are talking to a person.
- Portraying a decent and professional body language or body movement during communication.
- Using appropriate tone of voice during speaking, too slow can be inaudible and too loud can show your arrogance.
- A smiling and cheerful face displays a joyful spirit, people like to talk to such people and get closer to.
- Be serious when it is necessary and be humorous when communicating casually.
- Touching or scratching body parts, such as nose, eye, eye or head reveals poor non-verbal communication skill.
- Interrupting others may hurt others’ feelings and convey your pride and arrogance.
- Show interest towards others by nodding your head or giving appropriate responses as you listen to others.
- Talk to others and listen without being distracted.
- By showing your attentive and focused attitude, you display your good interpersonal skill.
- Being calm and relaxed in every situation enhances productivity.
- Having a good sense of good touch and bad touch is another example of non-verbal communication skill.
- Displaying appropriate, pleasant and appealing appearance with dress, hair style etc.
- Having a good knowledge of personal space and maintaining it with others.
- Right posture while communicating is essential for professional behavior.
3. Listening skills
Listening attentively without interruption is another example of interpersonal skills, as it helps to create a better communication by minimizing the chances of misunderstanding and accelerating the quality communication.
- In the business places, there will be situations where you need to negotiate effectively.It is a discussion process between two or more parties for a goal of reaching a solution regarding an issue, being both parties benefited with the maintenance of quality relationships.
The negotiation process goes through certain steps:
- The first step is when you prepare for negotiation.
- Gaining a clear understanding of the issue of negotiation
- Setting right goals to be achieved.
- Discussing issues step by step wisely and with a calm and patient attitude.
- Carrying a aim of Win-Win Result, rather than selfish ambition.
- Presenting a right Agreement which is beneficial for both parties.
- Try to find the Solution rather than making it more complicated.
5. Decision-making ability
We all make decisions in our day today’s life. Our decision can either be good or bad, good decisions bring positive results, whereas bad decisions result in negative impressions. Making wise and right decisions helps us to become a person with better interpersonal skills.
6. Problem solving skills or Conflict Resolution skill
Every business faces problems and conflicts in some way or others. When you carry an approach of problem solving rather than being disappointed and worried, it shows that you have developed the problem solving skills. Ability to present resolution to a conflict is an important part of the entire business process.
It is standing up for your own thoughts, ideas or knowledge or other people’s rights in a calm and confident manner along with a positive way, without being aggressive.
8. Communicating effectively with individual
Ability to communicate with an individual in an appropriate manner along with the right tone of voice and facial expression is also considered one of the best interpersonal skills one can possess. Opening a conversation and closing it successfully is really a skill that can help you to communicate well with individuals.
9. Making effective communication among small or large group of people
There can be situations where you may need to communicate with a small or large group of people sometimes or frequently, in this case keeping yourself cool and calm beside delivering quality information in a pleasing and appropriate manner will prove you a person holding strong interpersonal skills.
10. Ability to do multitasking
Multitasking is all about possessing the ability to handle more than one work simultaneously, efficiently and effectively with keeping a high level of productivity in mind. In many organizations, you may be required to handle several tasks at the same time with the best possible result.
11. Carrying an attitude of empathy
Possessing an attitude of empathy, which means caring for other people and having a strong desire to help them selflessly is another great example of interpersonal skill.
12. Organization skill
It is the ability to focus on different tasks, and use the resources, time, energy, strength, capacity, place, etc.in the best possible manner to reach the goal.
13. Having Self confidence in the work process
Having self confidence means understanding and trusting in your own abilities to perform certain tasks with best productivity. Self confidence helps you to perform the work efficiently using your technical and other skills, therefore developing self confidence is an essential interpersonal skill that one must possess.
14. Always carrying Positive Attitude
A person with a positive attitude sees hope in every circumstance, even in the depth of trouble and complicated issues. A person with a positive mind and attitude will try to find a solution with positive mental energy.
15. Maintaining strong work ethics
Ethics is an understanding of moral good and bad, we all understand what is good and bad by using our ethical value and common sense. Using this ethical value which is working with morally good attitudes and values makes a person trusted and reliable by others.
16. Managing time wisely and strategically to accomplish the work in the predefined time frame.
Time management plays an important role in almost every business, if you have given a deadline of providing the service in a certain period of time, it is your responsibility to complete it within the scheduled time. This managing time and providing service on time help your business to grow, be sustainable and trustable.
17. Having a spirit of working as a team and achieving a single goal of the entire business
In most businesses a group of people work as a team with a single aim to achieve a predefined goal In this case, possessing a spirit of teamwork is essential and considered as one of the best interpersonal skills one can possess for bringing success to an organization.
18. Handling Responsibility with integrity
We all are required to fulfill certain responsibility in family and even in professional life with sincere integrity. If we can fulfill our responsibility with integrity and our best effort, it helps us to be a person who can be reliable.
19. Having leadership skill to lead the individuals or group of people
Leadership is a skill where you motivate a group of people to walk to us achieving a common goal which has been predefined by business in order to bring growth into it. In order to be a good leader, you must be able to influence others positively and I will maximize the effort of others for completing the required task.
20. Self Motivation
Are you a person who is always self motivated, your self motivation displays your satisfaction in the job and it helps others to be motivated too. A self motivated person can be inspiring and a person who energizes others with positive thoughts and ideas.
Some other examples of interpersonal skills are:
- Flexibility in changes, especially being flexible in technological changes as it is always upgrading to the betterment and adopting it.
- Working with patience and keeping yourself cool even in pressure is another example of interpersonal skill.
- Cooperating with others in the workplace
- Making and developing collaborations
- Capable of organizing events
- Ability to manage small or big team
- Creating, developing and maintaining relationship with others
- Reading other’s behaviors
- Acknowledging other’s strengths, qualities and talents and appreciating them accordingly
- Becoming a source of Inspire and motivation for others
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article and helping others to grow.