The functions and responsibilities of a marketing manager may vary according to the industry or business they are working in. But there are some common grounds where every marketing manager of every industry shares a common set of functions and responsibility.
The main function and responsibility of a marketing manager is managing the entire marketing areas of the business. Now what is actually marketing all about, marketing is simply taking your product or service and presenting them to the potential customers. Marketing can be done basically into two ways : online marketing and offline marketing.
A manager is in charge to manage each and every area of these marketing, in order to create new customers by selling the product or services and providing the best product and services possible to the existing customer so that the customer retention rate increases.
Some of the essential functions and responsibilities of every marketing manager in spite of any industry are:
- Understanding who are your actual potential customer
- Thoroughly going through competitor research to understand what your competitors are doing
- Clearly understanding the actual requirement and need of the customer
- Preparing the project on service or product that need to be provided to the potential customer
- Pricing the product or service appropriately with understanding the market value
- Preparing plan, strategy and goal to promote your service or product by marketing them
- Setting your marketing budget and planning according to that
- Making the decision that are customer focused
- Promoting your product or service through offline or online every platforms
- Establishing a brand of your organisation
- Measuring the performance and identifying the improvement
- Preparing the marketing reports
- Focusing on the customer retention rate to be enhanced
- Creating more and more new customers and providing best product or service to the existing one in order to increase the customer retention rate
What does a marketing manager do on a daily basis?
Marketing manager works himself and he also leads a group of associates in order to accomplish the day today’s work of reaching the new customers with the product or service of the business and providing excellent customer service in order to retain the existing customer.
The marketing manager develops a strategy for marketing the product or service to the potential customers using varieties of platforms and processes. Looking after all the advertising campaigns and monitoring them regularly by utilising the analytics and performance is also a day to day work of a manager.
Overall, a marketing manager is responsible to manage the marketing area of a business on a daily basis by looking after the associated people working under the marketing manager, handling all the marketing campaigns and softwares for the purpose of collecting data, analysing them and preparing reports etc.
Job Description of a marketing manager
As a Marketing Manager, you will play an essential leadership role throughout the business. Working as a marketing manager means being more than just a marketer, it means becoming a person who will be able to lead the entire business towards growth and development. You will be leading a group of Associate marketers, develop marketing strategy, create contents,development work process and brand strategy, identify the potential consumer, and find out the customer insights to prepare and execute the marketing plans that will ultimately build a brand by bringing continuous growth and ultimate future success.
A large organisation or company may also have several marketing managers focusing on different areas of the marketing, As example a company can have SEO marketing manager, Social media marketing manager, content marketing manager and event marketing manager etc. These marketing managers are responsible for a certain area of marketing and responsible to bring maximum growth in that area they are working.
45+ Functions and responsibilities of a marketing manager :
- Developing the marketing plans and programs, execute in them and manage them continuously.
- Reaching to the potential customers using print, online platforms and any other possible channels
- Creating landing pages, maintaining the website and social media sites and other varieties of online platforms
- Creating valuable and unique content for the different media
- Performing varieties of task regarding marketing in your regular daily basis
- Establishing strong and trustworthy customer relationship
- Working on new and special projects and preparing goal for reaching to the success
- Must be effectively organising all the marketing campaigns and activities related to marketing
- Running several projects and balancing them in the most efficient manner
- Preparing the marketing report
- Regularly monitoring and analysing the marketing process and finding out the customer insights
- Assessing the entire business environment
- Making effective competitor research and finding the the valuable information about your competitor
- Creating strategy to understand who are the actual customers you need to target to
- Understanding the market trends
- Focusing on establishing a brand
- Regularly working on gathering the customers insight by doing lot of research and ensuring that right actions are taken
- Developing and executing the strategy of brand building, promoting and advertising the product or service
- Creating new product or service that are innovative and will help in establishing a brand development and growth
- Managing the each and every area of the business related to marketing
- Analysing the business result, budgeting and the presenting the financial forecasting and reporting
- Continuously working on sales strategy and communication to bring the most development
- Using your creativity and testing the new marketing ideas for the purpose of experimentation
- Regularly planning and developing the strategy for using the multiple channels to reach to the most appropriate and potential customers
- Taking advantage of each and every powerful platforms for establishing effective marketing
- Understanding the actual business goal and driving towards it
- Always focusing on the more conversion to create better business environment
- Associating with the existing marketing team and the developing the most effective traffic driving strategy
- Executing your best effort to drive the traffic from varieties of channels
- Working on large scale production and marketing them
- Collecting and developing data to identify the opportunities in the market
- Regularly optimising the efficiency of your marketing strategy, plan and imparting steady and regular growth into the marketing
- Regularly exploring and testing all the the best possible offline and online channels
- Directing the marketing team to accomplish planning and strategy with their best effort
- Developing the budget plan and managing regularly
- Providing the ultimate leadership on marketing strategy and performance
- Looking after the content development and publishing the content on website and social media platforms
- Handling the multiple projects at the same time with the most efficiency
- Using multiple marketing strategy to acquire new customers from different sources
- Developing concepts, creating designs and executing all the offline and online marketing strategies to extend the business territory
- Developing and testing the multi channel marketing plan to drive most customer possible
- Focusing on each and every area of the marketing like inbound marketing, outbound marketing, content marketing, email marketing, social media marketing, search engine marketing, marketing through SEO, video marketing etc.
- Conducting a thorough and in depth analysis of your project plan and its effectiveness to continuously improve their efficiency and maintain the maximum ROI
- Making use of all the analytics and metrics to take right decision
- Ensure to provide the best customer experience and meeting the business goal
- Use the existing data of marketing to impart better growth to the business
Basic Qualifications to handle the Functions and responsibilities of marketing manager
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in marketing
- Mast be a Self-starter person to excel in a fast-paced and fluid business environment
- Passionate to learn the new marketing tools and softwares and use them for better performance
- Knowledge of competitor researching and developing the project accordingly
- Possessing the strong understanding of different marketing channels and programs like search engine advertising, display advertising, social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, video marketing etc.
- Excellent practical knowledge on Excel software
- Knowledge of basic HTML and XML
Experience and skills needed to handle the Functions and responsibilities of marketing manager
- Experience in marketing, account management
- Experience in brand management
- Quality experience of creating and executing high quality marketing campaigns
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint software
- Ability to present excellent project management skill
- Delivering your best effort in a fast paced and developing working environment
- Very excellent presentation skill
- Outstanding analytical skill
- Strong verbal communication skill
- Good non verbal and written communication skill
- Profound understanding of financial statements and accounting principles
- Real world experience in people management, leading a team with high performance
- Solid knowledge of using different tools for marketing
- Experience in developing contents and publishing them in different platforms
- Experience in working with CMS or content management system like WordPress
- Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, photoshop software and other designing tools
- Ability to engage and influence a team of people and demonstrate your best
- Ability to think creatively and strategically along with sound business knowledge
- Profound understanding of analytics tools to find the useful data source for bringing growth into the future marketing plan
- Willingness to take challenge and make greater impact
- Must be a dynamic and critical thinking person
- Ability to detect the actual problem and the solving the raised issues
- Profound practical experience on data driven decision and presenting positive result
- Execute each and every plan and strategy with attention to detail
- Ability to plan, prioritise and manage multiple projects at the same time with the best efficiency
- Planning and designing the online campaign, email marketing strategy and push notifications
- Ability to perform multi task with most efficient manner
- Ability to lead a team and using the potential of the team members in the best productive way
- Profound understanding of digital marketing channels, e-commerce platforms and the working process
- Ability to successfully using the customer insights, data and utilising them to develop the marketing program
- Designing high engagement campaign
- Possessing an outstanding understanding of traffic driving mechanisms like search, affiliate, email, SEO etc.
- Actively engaging experience on the marketing channels and ensuring the the best in class customer experience
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article and helping others to grow.