Gardener and Landscaper are responsible for overall looking after plants, pests, parasites, plant illness and any other maintenance work for keeping the plants healthy and fresh.
Top 10 duties and responsibilities of Gardener or Landscaper are :
- Maintaining the grounds green and free from weeds.
- Keeping the ground clean and litter free.
- Repairing the landscaped areas and keeping the area watered using an irrigation system by Installing and repairing irrigation piping.
- Providing special care to all the plants and most importantly seasonal plants.
- Recognizing all the harmful pests that can cause damage to the plant.
- Taking precaution and appropriate actions for parasites.
- Look after the common plant illnesses and detecting the kinds.
- Take the right control measures to protect the plants from damage.
- Knowledge and ability to use different equipment.
- Appropriate understanding of using chemical or natural products to maintain the healthy and fresh look of the plants.
Gardener Duties and Responsibilities
- Taking needful initiatives to keep the grounds green and free from litter and weed, raked and regularly watered.
- Prune is a necessity to transplant plants and vegetation.
- Keeping the area clean and neat by sweeping or picking.
- Digging holes using different equipment and materials.
- Moving soil and equipment used for gardening purposes.
- Maintaining the fresh and attractive look of the hotel area by selecting the right plants, shrubs etc.
- Taking care of the landscaped areas by repairing and taking other initiatives.
- Installing an irrigation system.
- Repairing irrigation issues and piping.
- Buying or ordering all the necessary supplies like chemicals, gardening equipment and tools, fertiliser etc,
- Operate machinery equipment such as mower, small trucks, plant digger, sod cutter, power aerator, power edger, sweeper, trencher, power hedge cutter; rototiller, etc.
- Taking care of all the recommended safety precautions.
Qualifications for a successful Gardener
- Good knowledge in gardening and ability to use gardening equipment.
- Experience in working as a gardener in a hotel or resort
- Ability to do the work without direct supervision.
- Self-motivated and strong in communication.
- Having a valid driver’s license.
Basic Qualifications for Gardener
- Grounds keeping experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Valid driver’s license
- Good Knowledge of landscape designing, planning etc.
- Knowledge on cultivating, weeding, raking, transplanting, watering, pruning, cutting and trimming lawns, trees, shrubs, spraying, sweeping parking areas, fertilizing, planting flowers, removing tree stumps
- Strong knowledge on ornamental shrubs and plants.
- Clear understanding of lawn pests and diseases.
- Aware and experienced in different methods of controlling pests and diseases.
- Awareness of materials used for eradicating the pest and plant diseases.
- Ability to follow the instructions.
- Capable of handling short correspondence and memos.
- Ability to carry on basic communication.
- Must be willing to work in a different environment.
Physical Requirements of a Gardener
- Must be able to do the heavy work.
- Comfortable in consistently lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to constantly stand, walk, bend, reach, pull, push, twist, squat, stretch, lift, and carry work equipment throughout a shift.
- Ability to withstand variable outdoor temperatures ranging from hot to cold.
Here below is a real life example from a real employer seeking gardener - for getting a clear picture of the duties and responsibilities the employer seeks from a gardener.
Primary Duties And Responsibilities of a Gardener
- Prepare ground for planting seeds, bulbs, plants, seasonal flowers, shrubs, lawns, and trees; seed, mow, fertilize and maintain lawns.
- Maintain plants through accepted horticultural standards.
- Control invasive and noxious weeds through Integrated Pest Management strategies and practices.
- Rake and remove leaves and litter from campus grounds; remove snow and ice from assigned pathways and stairs.
- Use a variety of hand implements and tools, such as rakes, pruning shears, and loppers; and operate commercial power equipment such as tractors, trucks, mowers, tillers, sweepers, chain saws, trimmers and sprayers.
- Keep leads and supervisors informed of project status/work progress, needed materials and equipment.
- Operate machinery such as forklifts, scissor-lifts, and high rangers.
- Load and unload materials and supplies.
- Operate vehicles such as UW vans and trucks to transport tools, equipment and personnel to various job sites.
- May instruct semiskilled workers.
- Communicate and coordinate with other UW Facilities shops and Engineering Services to facilitate work.
- Know and comply with occupational health and safety regulations specific to the work and conduct on the job, including Safety Data Sheet (SDS) instructions, Hazard Review Checklists (HRCs) and the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) as required.
- Comply with all UW and UW Facilities policies and procedures, M&C protocols, i.e., Individual Accountability Protocols (IAP).
- Support all management directives and the vision and values of M&C.
- Participate in and follow through with M&C process improvement initiatives, including Balanced Scorecard (BSC), incorporating metrics and Lean principles into internal work processes, and promoting employee engagement in continuous improvements and innovation.
- Actively participate in meetings and training as scheduled.
- Provide excellent customer service through effective, courteous and professional interactions with clients, colleagues and the campus community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Core Competencies of a Gardener
- Demonstrate personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- Manage stressful situations and changing priorities effectively.
- Anticipate, recognize and resolve problems.
- Be responsible and accountable.
- Use organizational skills and provide attention to details.
- Maintain a positive, optimistic, and success-oriented attitude.
- Exercise professionalism, which includes being tactful and courteous.
- Exhibit a professional work ethic.
- Continuously promote a safe work environment.
Requirements Include of a Gardener
- Physical ability to do required work
- AND one years’ experience or training involving grounds maintenance, plant care, cultivation and landscape installation.
Additional Requirements Include of a Gardener
- Washington State Public Pesticide Operator’s License or obtain license within 120 days of employment.
- Demonstrated successful ability in taking direction, working well with others and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated excellent effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Possession of a valid Washington State driver’s license.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Desired of a Gardener
- Knowledge and practical experience with WISHA (Washington Industrial Safety & Health Act) and OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Act) regulations.
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard productivity software including Microsoft Office Suite or equivalent products
Conditions Of Employment of a Gardener
- May be required to accept variable work shift.
- Work may require access to confined spaces and heights using approved safety precautions.
- Ability to lift and move heavy material may be required.
- Must be able to work outside under all weather conditions.
- Approved footwear must be provided at the employee’s expense and worn on the job.
- Must be able to be fitted for and wear a respirator on the job.
- Must participate in medical screening/monitoring (such as TB screening and proof of measles inoculation) required for work assignments in locations, including but not limited to, nonhuman primate areas, the Animal Research and Care Facility, and the University of Washington Medical Center
- Must be able to work in a non-smoking environment.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
Application Process of a Gardener
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your “My Jobs” page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under Washington state law .
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability , and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 or email@example.com .
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT of a Gardener
Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14.2 requires employees of higher education and healthcare institutions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination. View the Final candidate guide to COVID-19 vaccination requirement webpage for information about the medical or religious exemption process for final candidates.
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article and helping others to grow.