We all display certain sorts of postures everyday in different places in different ways, but this posture can be good or bad, a good posture results in positive communication whereas a bad posture establishes negative communication. This is the reason having a good understanding of ‘How to maintain a good posture’ helps us to communicate well with others.
In Simple words, posture is the way we hold our body in front of others or even when we are alone.
Some of the ways we can maintain our good posture are:
- Being careful and mindful about your posture during communication
- Wearing comfortable clothes and shoes
- Preparing your workplace comfortable to you
- Making sure that the height of the chair and table are appropriate
- Developing a habit of displaying good posture everywhere
TABLE OF CONTENT
- Posture meaning
- Posture in body language
- What is posture in non verbal communication?
- How to maintain good posture at work
- How to maintain good posture while working on the computer
- How to maintain good posture while sitting
- Why is body posture important in communication?
- How can posture affect communication?
- Final Thoughts on ‘How to maintain good posture’
1. Posture meaning
Posture is the presentation of your body in a certain manner in the workplace or in social life that impresses or misleads others.
Holding your body in the right and professional manner presents a good posture.
In other words posture is positioning your body and limbs in a pleasing or displeasing attitude.
2. Posture in body language
Posture is an integral part of our body language. The way we stand, sit, walk, position our hand, legs, shoulder, head etc all are the part of posture or body language.
3. What is posture in non verbal communication?
We all make different types of nonverbal communication in order to present our thoughts, ideas and knowledge to other people either in our workplace or in informal social life. And posture is a part of nonverbal communication, where we hold our body and body parts in a particular manner.
A good posture establishes a successful nonverbal communication, as a result you gain more respect and self-esteem.
Let us understand this through example, Suppose you are sitting in an official meeting or delivering an important presentation before others, in this case the posture you maintain means the way you use your hands, legs, heads, wrist or shoulder during the presentation are postures, and it has a great capability either in making positive impression or negative.
While you are standing or sitting before your interviewer or recruiter, your postures are observed carefully to judge how professional you are.
4. How to maintain good posture at workplace
Maintaining good posture at your workplace not only proves you a professional person but also increases the possibility of promotion and gaining higher status.
Here are some of the ways you must maintain good posture at your workplace:
- Do not sit or stand in leaning or tilting position
- Set up the computer and table appropriately to make it comfortable for working.
- Stand straight while you are talking to others
- Let you back be rested on chair while sitting
- Keep your feet rested on the ground
- Do not shake or twist your legs
- Keep your hands and finger in rest or in little movement
- Do not bend on another’s table or desk
- Do not roll your shoulder forward
- Make sure your knees bend in 90 degree angle
5. How to maintain good posture while working on the computer
Working on a computer is almost a common type of work in every industry. But while we are working on a computer, we must remember certain good postures in order to present your professional attitude and being healthy at the same time.
Here are some of the good posture that must be maintained by everyone working with computer:
- Keep your head an appropriate distance from the computer screen.
- Make sure your neck is straight with your body
- Keep you back rested on the chair
- Do not bend your body towards computer, it causes pain
- Keep your hands in the straight level of keyboard
- Let you palm be in rested mood while typing
- Keep your feet rested on the floor
- Keep the mouse and keyboard near you
- Adjust your chair or computer table to fix the comfortable environment
- Keep your eyes at level of the top of the computer screen
- Keep your upper legs in 90 degree angle from your body
- Keep your shoulder in relaxed mood
Sitting in front of a computer and working for hours and hours is almost common but following the above good posture will help you to be presented as a professional employee along with keeping your health well and fine.
6. How to maintain good posture while sitting
Sitting informally at home or park with friends & family and formally at the professional workplace are not the same things.
When you are with your friends and family, you may sit as you want in most comfortable or relaxed form, unless it is inappropriate for them.
But being in your office, you must be careful how you sit. If you carry your home sitting styles to your office, then you can be sure that you are displaying a very unprofessional behavior, which will surely bring a bad reputation on you and even most probably more than that.
Here is how, you must maintain a good posture while sitting (especially at office):
- First of all make sure you are sitting straight and in relaxed condition.
- Do not curve or bend your body while sitting.
- Your chair must be comfortable to you in height and size.
- Keep your shoulder free and relaxed.
- Let your spine or back be rested on the chair.
- Keep your legs rested on the ground.
- Avoid crossing your legs.
- Adjust your work environment to make it suitable and comfortable to you.
- Keep your knees straight from hips.
- Sit close to your table or computer.
7. Why is body posture important in communication?
Your body posture is important in communication, as it is a vital part of nonverbal communication and nonverbal communication can either make the verbal communication successful or failure.
Let us understand this with example, suppose you are presenting a business report, the words you are using are part of verbal communication and the way you are standing or sitting during presentation is posture, which is a part of nonverbal communication.
Now you may present a serious business report but if you stand in the wrong posture like leaning on the wall or in some sort of unprofessional way, your whole communication will be hampered severely.
Here are some of the reason why body posture is important in communication:
- People observe your posture
- Your body posture reveals how professional you are
- Bad body posture can produce pain in your body
- It also has capacity to hinder your promotion and growth in the workplace
- You may lose respect and self-esteem due to wrong posture
- Bad posture can become a stumbling block in your job recruitment
8. How can posture affect communication?
Your posture creates a tremendous effect on your communication, as it is an integral part of communication.
Here are some ways posture can affect on communication:
- A good posture enhances the positive result in communication.
- Postures convey additional information about our feelings and emotions.
- It also displays our confidence or fear during communication.
- Posture reveals our personality of professionalism in communication.
9. Final Thoughts on ‘How to maintain good posture’
‘How to maintain good posture?’ is the question of many people, especially in the professional workplace.
Here are some key areas in maintaining good posture.
- Maintaining good posture is beneficial not only in the professional work areas but also for our good health.
- It is possible to maintain a good posture during your communication if you are serious about its importance and learn the way you should sit, stand, walk etc. for maintaining good posture.
- Make sure you sit, stand and walk in keeping your body straight condition. Habit of leaning on a wall, chair or desk presents a poor body posture before people.
- Always remember that people observe your posture and will measure your professionalism according to that.
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article for growing together and helping other to grow.