Verbal communication is an essential part in communication with friends, family, colleagues and official authority in the workplace. Verbal communication can be divided mainly into four types according to the individual or group of people we are communicating to.
Types of of verbal communication is categorized in four groups, they are:
- Intrapersonal Communication. (communication that is extremely private and restricted to yourself, where you communicate to yourself in your mind)
- Interpersonal Communication. (communication that takes place between two individuals)
- Small Group Communication (Communication that takes place in a small group of few people)
- Public Communication (Communication that occurs among a large group, Ex. Public speech and election campaign made by political leaders)
TABLE OF CONTENT
- Intrapersonal Communication
- Interpersonal Communication
- Small Group Communication
- Public Communication
1. Intrapersonal Communication
(Intrapersonal communication is extremely private and restricted to yourself, where you communicate to yourself in your mind)
We all communicate with ourselves in different circumstances, such as during taking a decision, emotional state and convincing ourselves.
There are many situations when we communicate certain matters only to ourselves, they are extremely private and strictly restricted to our own selves. We don’t want others to interfere in our intrapersonal matter.
Intrapersonal communication at a glance:
- This communication takes place with yourself, especially taking place in your own mind.
- It can be highly personal
- Intrapersonal communication is restricted to yourself
- Emotions can be big factor in this communication
- You take decision through this kind of communication
2. Interpersonal Communication
(Interpersonal communication takes place between two individuals)
Interpersonal verbal communication is the exchange of information, knowledge, ideas, thoughts, emotions and feelings between two or more people by using verbal way of communication.
In this communication thoughts, ideas and information is conveyed through using face to face verbal communication process or over the voice or video calling using mobile, software and internet etc.
Interpersonal communication example, communication between a couple, discussion between two friends or team leader and staff in an office.
Communication between two people is most of the time limited to two individuals.
This kind of communication can take place in the office or workplace, in a family and between friends.
Interpersonal communication can have emotional attachments or personal feelings.
Interpersonal communication at a glance:
- Sharing of thoughts, ideas, knowledge and emotion takes place in this communication between two or more peple
- This communication can occur between two or more people
- It can be formal or informal way of communication
- Formal communication requires the maintaining of industry standard formalities
- Informal communication requires the maintenance of basic manner and consideration of audience
- It can be attached with personal feeling or emotions
3. Small Group Communication
(Small Group Communication takes place in a small group of few people)
In small group communication, communication is made with a small group of people.
Examples of this kind of communication can be, discussion about business in a workplace, family discussion, discussion among a small group of friends or colleagues.
This communication can either be a formal verbal communication or informal verbal communication.
In formal verbal small group communication, you are required to maintain certain formalities according to the industry standard, because formal small group communication basically takes place in offices, businesses or organizations.
Whereas, in informal verbal small group communication, you are to maintain some basic manner and you can communicate without a special set of rules, because this kind of communication mainly takes place among friends and family.
Therefore, small group verbal communication can be divided into two groups:
- Informal small group communication
- Formal small group communication
Small group communication at a glance:
- Exchange of ideas and information accomplished in this communication among small group of people
- May require preparation, especially in formal communication scenario
- Can be formal or informal in nature
- Formal communication requires you to put up with the industry standard or culture
- In informal communication understanding the audience and communicating accordingly is the key
- Most of the cases formal communications requires preparation but informal one does not
4. Public Communication
(Public Communication occurs among a large group, Ex. Public speech and election campaign made by political leaders)
Verbal public communication is communicating with a large group of people. This kind of communication requires good preparation for productive and effective results.
You must maintain good body language, quality eye contact and appropriate postures while communicating with a large group of people.
Before public communication, you must consider the group you are going to speak to, and the formalities maintained in that industry.
Presenting your thoughts, ideas and knowledge with a systemic and engaging order to make your audience interested and as a result establishing a successful communication is desired in almost every public communication.
Public communication at a glance:
- Verbal public communication is made among the large group of people or crowd of people
- This kind of communication needs sufficient preparation for successful and effective result
- Understanding the group and their expectation is very important
- Creating an engaging communication improves the productivity
- Maintaining good posture and right tone of voice is crucial
Final Thoughts on ‘Types of verbal communication’:
Verbal communication is all about communicating information using your voice, words or language. Therefore, maintaining a good tone of voice, right level of speed in delivery with clarity is required in every type of verbal communication.
Here is a list to consider for effective verbal communication:
- Speak with clarity and without error to avoid misunderstanding
- Use the right words or language to be easily understood by the audience
- Use formal or informal style of delivery according to the situation and place
- Keep yourself calm and relaxed during the communication
- Be focused on the point you are communicating about, shifting in different topics frequently may confuse you listener
- Maintain politeness and good manners while communicating
Here are the four types of verbal communication at a glance:
- Intrapersonal Communication is extremely private and restricted to yourself, in this communication you communicate to yourself in your mind.
- Interpersonal Communication takes place between two or more individuals
- Small Group Communication takes place in a small group of few people, either formally or informally.
- Public Communication occurs among a large group, Ex. Public speech and election campaign made by political leaders), you address a large group of people. This kind of communication requires good preparation for productiveness.
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article and helping others to grow.