Skill is a crucial requirement for almost every quality job, It can be from driving to any Official jobs, you need skill everywhere. In this article, I will share with you some precious information about what are skills on a resume, the skills on the resume that employers actually look for.
Employers in different sectors or industries of jobs look for different sorts of skills from the candidates to carry out their task and needs. In order to understand this we will go through some step by step analysis.
- Job related skills
- How often or how much the skill was used
- Academic degree or certification
- Desired skill
- Experience and achievement
Skills on a resume are the display of the set of skills that is required for a specific job. A good resume should display all the job related skills that you have gathered, along with how often or how much you have used those skills, it must also display all your academic degrees and certifications, showcase some of the desired skills, and do not forget experience and achievements make a special room in your resume.
What are skills on a resume skills in a cv?
Many people think that preparation of resume or CV takes place just before you apply for the job, but let me tell you preparation of CV or resume start taking place long ago while you are preparing or gathering the skill for achieving the job.
Here is a great mistake people make, in this article you will understand how to prepare and what are skills to put on a resume or CV.
1. Steps for preparing the skills for the resume:
It is very important that the job you want to do, you prepare for that from long before, now what I mean by the preparation let me clarify step by step.
- In the first step: you need to go for research regarding the job you are interested in, go to LinkedIn site, freelancing websites and other job sites in order to understand what is the requirement for the job. take time and go through eighth or research, take note of all the important things that you gather from the research you made.
- During step 2: you need to make a note of all the skills that you need to prepare in order to get the job.
Now make a long term goal, where you need to learn all the programming languages you are required within one and half years, and other skills required in the next three months, Another 3 months for applying and getting the job, it will take 2 years in order to complete the journey. This is the long term goal.
- Step 4: in this step you need to prepare your resume and portfolio as you are learning the skills and working practically on those skills. keep record of all your practical works, which will become so precious during the job interview. In the steps, you may do some volunteer jobs aur work for somebody else for free or for a cheaper price in order to practically use the skill you learnt. but do not forget to give a record of all your Good Works, so that you can prove it to your future employee, in order to make sure that you know what you are talking about. you not only have the theoretical skill knowledge whether you really have the practical knowledge of the skills. This will become a great help in the process of interview and the selection for the job.
- Step 5: Now as you keep record of Learning all the skills that are required and the practical works, you are almost for receiving the job opportunity. because you’re not only having the skill set prepared but also you have walked on the skills in the practical world. In the middle of all these you must also achieve the academic degree or certifications on those skills.
- Step 6: Now is the time to go for an internship. Internship is a smart choice, where you practice all your skills in a real world work scenario, you may be paid with very less amount or or you may need to work for free for certain time, but trust me it will help you a lot for the future job in order to earn a good salary.
- Step 7: Now you can face the interview and display all your learnings and good works on the table to prove that you are eligible for the work you need to do.
2. Job related skills
Every job requires some specific set of skills, and in order to do that job you need to learn all the skills and master them.
let us understand what I mean through some example:
skills required to become a data scientist and web developer and not same, both require different sets of skills. To become a data scientist or web developer, you need to understand what are the skills required for the job. LinkedIn is a great place, where you can have a complete idea regarding the skills you require for the specific job. go through different job profiles and find out what kind of skills are they asking for. make a list of all those skills and start walking on them. learn them, gather certification on them and practically work on those skills.
This is the reason I said preparing the skills for a resume is not one night’s work rather it is a long time process.
3. How often or how much the skill was used
Learning the skill and using the skill are quite different things, you might have learnt web development skills, but you do not use them frequently, in this case you will still become a poor performer which will be a big negative point for your job.
This is the reason the skill that you learnt you must use often, and keep a record of them, so that you can showcase the use of your skills.
4. Academic degree or certification
Academic degree or certification plays an important role in your resume, as it shows how serious you were about learning skills.
There are many quality and affordable online learning websites, where you can learn the skill and get certification, never neglect the academic degrees or certification, without doubt learning skills are the most important but do not forget that achieving academic degrees or certifications are valuable too.
So as you start preparing for the job keep your eyes on your academic degree for certification, try to gather certifications on different skills, It will not only help you in the selection process of your job but also it will really decorate and give special power and energy to your resume.
5. Desired skill
There are some desired skills required beside the job related skills. They are:
- Ability to Work Under Pressure
- Decision Making
- Time Management
- Conflict Resolution.
- Problem Solving
- Strong Work Ethic
- Time Management
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Service
- Business Etiquette
Moreover, It must be proved that you have an ownership mentality, where you take the company or organization as your own and love so much that you are willing to suffer, sacrifice and give your dedicated effort for the progress of the company or organization that you want to work with.
6. Experience and achievement
Never forget to put your experience and achievements. because these play a very crucial role in the skills of your resume.
Display all the records of your practical works, it might be where you have worked for a person or an Organisation for free or for a very lower price or else you might have gone for internship, display all the details on your resume.
Remember your skills and experiences are the most important parts on your resume, that your employers will care the most.
7. Never exaggerate or lie about your skill in your resume
There can be a great Temptation to exaggerate or lie about some of the skills on your resume that you do not possess. but remember your lie will be caught very soon, and once it is caught you will be proved with your dishonesty and disloyalty.
Be honest with your skills, it will not only make you secure but also prove you as a honest person. Everyone loves the honest person, even companies and organisations look for the honest people, so once you lose the honesty, there is no way to recover it.
Make sure you don’t exaggerate your skill, just portray the reality of your skills on your resume.
Key message to be learned:
- Preparation for the skills on your resume must take place from the time when you started to prepare for the job by learning the skills and working practically on the skills.
- job related skills and your experience with achievements is the most important part of your skill on a resume.
- do not forget together certification and display them on your resume skills.
- never exaggerate or lie regarding the skill on a resume.
- mention the skills with how often you used them or the practical works that you have done by using the skills.
- you need to prove your expertise on the skill in your resume by backing up the practical experience.
- you must be capable to perform well with each and every skill that you mention in your resume.
- Develop the soft skill along with the hard skill, for the best performance.