If you are interested in numbers and want to establish your career with this, then you must be aware about the skills required for accounting and Finance jobs.
I have gone through a thorough research before preparing this article to provide you the satisfactory and best resources possible on skills required for accounting and Finance jobs.
In an accounting job you may need to manage the Financial report and the record of the business as date to day work.
While in financing jobs, you may need to use the same information of accounting in order to project growth in the future by researching and analysing the expenses and spendings in order to strategize the finances of the company.
So the students with an accounting degree, use the principles and process of accountancy jobs in a professional manner, whereas the students with a finance degree are more likely to use their skills and knowledge in making financial strategy and control.
In simple words, accounting jobs are related to managing the numbers while the finance jobs are related to influencing those numbers and making financial strategy.
Accounting and finance jobs are the two sides of a single coin.
Responsibilities of the professional in the accounting and finance job include the reporting, invoices, payment plans, expenses reports, bank statements, cash flow charts, etc.
20+ Best skills required for accounting and finance jobs
- Excellent skills in accounting and tax
- Good skill in planning and organizing
- Strong time management skills
- Profound knowledge in measuring, processing and communication of financial knowledge, data and information
- Good capacity of resource management
- Possessing excellent knowledge on financial reporting rules
- Knowledge on International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Good understanding of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Advance knowledge on assessing, analyzing and mitigating risks and other factors in a business environment
- Profound knowledge of measuring financial records in compliance with internal and external regulations and making sure of achieving business objectives and long term sustainable and profit generating growth
- Having theoretical and practical knowledge of data science, advanced current technologies
- Strong command on analytics and ability to use them for deriving insightful and predictable data for business growth
- Solid knowledge of project management and its process, methods, tools and integrating the tools in the most effective manner
- Possessing a clear understanding of the need, demands and expectations of customers of the markets
- A positively charged and motivated person
- Having a spirit of working together in an ever changing and multi dimensional work environment for achieving a single goal
- Capability to work in an orderly manner and work independently
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Can coordinate multi-tasks
- A strong desire to work with numbers
- Possessing strong work ethic
- Carrying a can-do attitude
- An enthusiast and excellent communicator
- Possessing degree in Accounting, Business, Economics or certifications
How to learn skills required for accounting and finance jobs?
In order to acquire the skills required for an accounting and Finance job you can either go for traditional degree programs or else you can take some certification courses on accounting and Finance and learn the skills.
Here are the Most commonly used formal education paths for requiring the accounting and finance skills:
1. You can go for degrees like B.A. / B.Com. / B.S. in Finance and Accounting
2. MBA in Finance, you can specialize in certain areas of finance, This is a great way to learn the skills required for accounting and a Finance job.
3. You can also think for the degree course M.S. in Accounting and Taxes
Some of the Certifications that are most recognized are:
1. In USA, CPA – Certified Public Accountants, In India, CA – Chartered Accountant , You can also think for any other designations which are well recognized in your country to certify you as a professional Public Accountant
2. If you are interested in investment industry then, CFA – (Certified Financial Analysts) is more recognized in investment industry
3. CMA – (Certified Management Accountant)
4. You should know that certain professions like Investment Banking, Financial Service Advisory, Financial Planning Advisory etc. require specific certifications in order to become a professional person
Here are some of the suggestions for you to become a better accountant or finance expert:
- In order to make the right decision in your career you can discuss with a career counsellor.
- Try to get in touch with the people who are actively involved in this profession.
- Learn the real-life pros and cons from active professionals.
- Ask for suggestions from them, this will help you to make better decisions.
- Once you decide your career and profession, Give your Best and Be The Best in It.
You will get many opportunities to choose between various fields and specialisation as you are choosing the finance as a career:
Lat us now understand them by dividing them in the following categories:
1. Accounting / Public Accounting –
- Financial Reporting, Taxes (Personal and Corporate)
- Audit (mostly for corporations and nonprofits)
- Financial Services Advisory
- Merger and Acquisition Support and Consulting,
- International Taxes
- Tax Advisory etc.
2. Corporate Finance –
- Financial Planning and Analysis
- Corporate Controllers / Corporate Accountants
- Internal Audit
- Risk and Compliance
- Treasury etc.
3. Investment Banking and Wall*Street –
- Investment Analysts
- Funds and Portfolio Managers
- Investment Advisors,
- M&A Advisors
- Credit Rating Analysts
- Loan Officers
- Investment Brokers
- Credit and Risk Analysts etc.
You need to pursue the special training, degree or certification, depending on what you want to become.
Real-life skill requirement for accounting and finance job are collected from different companies to improve accounting skills:
- Job Title: Accounting Specialist
As an accounting specialist you need to report directly to the controller. The accounting specialist will become the key member of the department of Finance, who is responsible for supporting accurate and timely processing the company’s accounting related works with multiple tasks in different areas.
The candidate must possess the critical thinking skill and should be able to demonstrate the skill by identifying errors and potential risks that can bring harm or bring negative impact on the company’s performance, Management and Organisation skill are also mandatory for this position.
- You will be responsible for collecting, analysing and reconciling the data of customers.
- you also need to monitor the payment and advise for recommendation to the customer’s account.
- Detecting the issues with customers, going through research and resolving account related issues.
- You need to prepare a proforma invoice for the purpose of requesting advances from the customers according to the terms and conditions.
- You will be responsible for processing sales invoices for the purpose of revenue recognition.
- Maintaining the record of Daily payment and sending the confirmation
- Monitoring and reconciliation of bank accounts and line of credit in daily basis
- Implementing The Daily payment to the vendors and other required person
- Work together with bank and update invoices in case of any changes takes place
- Providing the credit and debit memo to the customer according to the need
- Helping in the bank and financial audit
- If any issue is occurred in related to the finance it must be assisted and solved by you
- Bachelor’s or similar degree in finance or accounting
- At least one year of accounting experience which preferred
- possessing excellent time management skill and Organisation ability
- this position require to work independently and as a team player
- must have excellent written, verbal and nonverbal communication skill
- excellent in customer service ability
- strong computer skill, specially proficiency in Excel software
- Ability to speak, write and understand English
- Title: Finance Analyst
The Ways to Make a Difference
- Associating with the production execution process which are completed accurately and timely by analysing, removing and confirming daily.
- Daily inventory movement must be reviewed and analysed in SAP and in case of any kind of correction you need to walk with teams
- Regulatory analysing performance against standard by reviewing and bringing Observation to gross variances
- Reporting the metric on a daily, weekly and annual basis by preparing and reviewing the data
- Assisting in reconciling and forecasting the production volume
- Reconciling monthly entries associated with expense and capital
- Helping in backup on inputting of SAP routings
- Responsible for performing reconciliations related to payroll, services, product/material setup
- performing a regular review of production standards on according to need
- Preparing payroll duties to cover vacations and absences
- Analysing the data and finding out the insight of financial model to provide guidance for Business Development
- Developing business Planning and powerful Strategy to help in business decision models
- Ability of Risk Management & Business Controls by Analysing the insightful data
- Performing Financial Analysis, Planning & Reporting by Statistics and creating modeling
- Assisting in audit processes and regulatory knowledge
- Being excellent Skilled in the technical area
- Taking care of Tax, Treasury, rules and regulations etc
Skills needed to be Successful accountant or finance expert:
- Possessing strong ability to communicate the critical and complex data related to financial and accounting process across several department
- holding excellent problem solving skill by detecting the actual problem and solving it effectively
- having strong analytical skill and financial modelling ability
- ability to bringing improvement in the process by imparting better change
- you must be a self starter who is curious and capable to carry out the job with the most efficient manner in order to bring improvement in the entire process
- capable of managing multiple priorities by understanding the urgency
- ability to work in a fast paced environment marked by frequent change
- ability to handle challenging situation by being positive and influencing other positively
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article and helping others to grow.