Communication is conveying information, ideas, knowledge, feeling and emotions to each other, it can be between two individuals or among a group of people.
We as social beings love to communicate with others to share and receive information. This sending or receiving information is done by orally speaking using words or languages, writing, visual presentation, nonverbal ways and listening.
Oral communication is the most used way to communicate with others.
Oral communication is the part of communication where two or more individuals make conversation with each other either by direct face to face conversation or through telephonic conversation.
Some of the examples of oral communication are discussion, presentation, speeches etc.
Delivering your thought and knowledge clearly by speaking confidently and orderly helps you to gain respect from others and build a good relationship.
Speaking too fast can make problems for the listener to understand, as speaking too slowly with too many pauses will make your communication boring and lose the effectiveness of the message. So, speaking with an appropriate speed and tone makes your oral communication effective and productive.
TABLE OF CONTENT
- What is oral communication?
- Face to face oral communication
- Oral communication through telephonic devices or internet
- Benefits of Oral communication
- How to make oral communication?
- How to make your oral communication effective?
- How to master oral communication?
- Importance of oral communication
- How is the oral communication made?
1. What is oral communication?
Oral communication is the way to communicate with others in order to exchange our thoughts and information using our spoken words.
Most of the cases we make oral communication face to face but it can also be done using electronic devices and the internet.
It is the most popular way to communicate due to its many benefits.
2. Face to face oral communication
Face to face oral communication is the most popular way to communicate but before you make this communication, you should know that you must be serious enough about this.
If you are too casual and think that you will just speak something and communicate then most probably you are going to create chaos and regret soon.
Remember that establishing a successful and productive face to face oral communication requires enough planning and preparation.
People you are communicating to, are not only listening to you rather they are observing each and every of your nonverbal cues, so a poor nonverbal communication can bring a huge negative effect.
Here are some of the points to keep in mind while making face to face oral communication:
- Make sure your appearance is appealing and according to the industry standard
- Be attentive towards your and audiences’ nonverbal cues
- Your hairstyle to perfume everything has some sort of effect on the entire communication
- Speak with appropriate tone and loudness that is pleasing
- Prepare before you speak
- Your communication must meet the need of the audience
3. Oral communication through telephonic devices or internet
There are many times when you need to make oral communication with others via telephonic devices or internet, but while you are doing so, you need to keep some facts in mind to make your entire communication successful.
In this sort of oral communication the audience may see you if you are making a video call or else only hear your voice in case you are making an audio call.
Here are some of the points to keep in mind while making oral communication through telephonic devices or internet:
- You should make sure that you are having a good connection before starting the communication
- Speak with clear and appropriate loudness of voice
- In case of video calling make sure your background is appealing and convey good nonverbal cues
- Receive feedback regularly to avoid misunderstanding
- Prepare well and make a list of points of communication to have a quality communication and avoid forgetting
4. Benefits of Oral communication
Oral communication is the most effective way to communicate because
- The intent of communicator is expressed more effective manner
- It is accomplished instantly
- Minimal possibility of errors and mistakes
- Chances of barriers or problem in communication are less
- Feedback is received faster
- Emotions are expressed
- Nonverbal communications are added to make the communication more productive
- The result is measured instantly
- The tone of voice helps the audience to understand in a better way
5. How to make oral communication?
Oral communication is greatly used in business to present short talk or detail presentations.
But in order to make a productive and efficient oral communication you must follow some steps, they are follow 3 P’s which are Plan, prepare and practice, understand the purpose of communication, know the need of the audience, make your oral communication with simple and easy to understand words, so that your audience understand your message clearly and completely, make sure you are displaying right nonverbal communication while making oral communication.
Plan your communication about what you are going to communicate, who your audience is, what the topic of your oral communication is, how are you going to deliver the information.
Prepare the content of your communication and set them in order to deliver it in a more efficient manner, so that it can be understood and absorbed by the audience easily.
Practice enough before communicating, to become perfect in oral communication. Practice will help you to find the faults and make you rectify them to present your oral communication in the best way.
- Understand the purpose of communication
- Know the needs of the audience
- Make your oral communication simple and easy
- Use easy to understand words
- Make sure your audience understand your message clearly and completely
- Display right nonverbal communication while making oral communication
6. How to make your oral communication effective?
You can establish a successful oral communication by following some guidelines, they are:
- Plan your content of communication keeping the audience in mind
- Prepare a clearly articulated agenda or actionable steps
- Receive feedback if the message is clear to the audience
- Recap the actionable steps before concluding the communication
7. How to master oral communication?
Learning the oral communication skills and mastering them will definitely make you a better communicator and as a result you will become more productive and gain respect and self-esteem.
You can master oral communication by following some simple steps:
- Make sure you think before you speak to avoid poor oral communication
- Speak clearly and with appropriate tone and loudness of voice
- Your message must be clear and concise to fulfil your purpose
- Make oral communication with confidence
- Tailor your words according to the audience
- Understand the perspective of listener
- Be a active listener
- Read the nonverbal cues of your audience
- Present your oral communication with appropriate nonverbal methods
8. Importance of oral communication
Oral communication carries many importances for which it is considered the most used and popular way of exchanging the thought, ideas, information, emotions, feeling, fact and knowledge.
Here are some of the reason why oral communication is important:
- It helps in exchanging the information quickly
Conveying the message is much faster compared to other types of communication. Due to which it saves time and is demanded in most business places.
- Oral communication has ability to solve the problem immediately or in very short period of time
Everyone wants the problem to be solved as soon as possible, and oral communication is best in this to solve the issues in the shortest time.
- Our emotions and feeling are conveyed, which makes the communication more alive and productive
In oral communication, we not only speak, rather our emotion, feeling and nonverbal cues are also displayed , which plays an important role in making our communication more effective and easy to understand to the audience.
- Possibility of misunderstanding is minimal or not at all
Due to the immediate feedback possibility and presence of nonverbal cues, oral communication has the minimal possibility of misunderstanding.
- In case of providing private or confidential information, the oral communication is the best way to communicate
If you are conveying some kind of private or confidential information then oral communication is considered the best because of less possibility of reaching data to an unwanted person and misuse of it.
9. How is the oral communication made?
You can make oral communication by speaking your message to the audience or receiver either by face to face situation or via audio or video calling facilities.
Oral communication is made using some simple steps, they are:
- Initiator of the communication speaks the message to the audience or receiver
- Face to face, telephonic or internet medium is used to convey the spoken message
- Audience or the receiver listen the message
- Feedback is given by the audience or receiver, if the message is understood or not
Let me know your suggestion in the comment section below for adding more life to this article and helping others to grow.